Re: Adobe Reader 10

From: Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
Subject: Re: Adobe Reader 10
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2021 16:42:51 +0000

   On Saturday, March 20, 2021,
   <[1]libreplanet-discuss-request@libreplanet.org> wrote:

     From: Greg Knittl <[2]gknittl@sympatico.ca>
     Hi All,
     thanks for all the comments, especially on standards. The Ontario
     Ministry of Finance will send me paper forms. I doubt I would get
     very
     far complaining to the Ombudsman

   greg, with respect, this is defeatist.

   [3]https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0014/47201/lukekclei
   ghton.pdf

   i wrote above, naively and without judgement, laying it on as thick as
   i could about discrimination, in the nicest most evil, devious and yet
   plain and non-complaining "it's so unfair for me" way, after reading
   the "Sylvester Response" for guidance.

   i then thought nothing of it.

   i was then amazed (stunned, more like) to receive a response 18 months
   later that the UK Council which had forced the use of inappropriate
   forms had in fact completely revised their website.

   i think the key here was laying it on thick with a 24in trowel that it
   wasn't actually about "poor little me", but that the website was in
   flagrant violation of UK laws regarding discrimination, by setting an
   artificially high barrier against *all* people in the UK who were
   poorer than average (cost of proprietary software, high cost of
   computer necessary to *run* said proprietary software)

   i have not read what i wrote for many years, but i don't think i even
   mentioned "Software Freedom".

   do not for *one second* consider yourself powerless.  there will be
   laws in your country that these people will be directly and
   unthinkingly violating.

   as Civil Servants the shit will truly hit the fan for them if they are
   found to be in violation of those laws.  loss of pensions is their
   worst nightmare.

   use that.

   l.

   --