Re: Support RMS

From: Aaron Wolf
Subject: Re: Support RMS
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2021 22:35:50 -0700

Luke, I appreciate your mention of the CRNHQ stuff. I have not seen that
exact material before but many other things like it. I agree
wholeheartedly that this sort of recognition of victim mentality is
important.

Another framing is to say that we can have a TO-ME attitude (victim
consciousness) or a BY-ME (creator consciousness) or yet more higher
consciousness perspectives like THROUGH-ME (going with the flow and not
making it about ourselves and our egos).

All that said, I don't think you have enough knowledge of Deb and what
she is saying to diagnose her state here. One principle worth
remembering is to "eat your projections", if you see someone else having
an issue (e.g. victim consciousness), it's a prompt to check if you are
doing that and to work on making sure to avoid it yourself.

When giving advice to others, it helps to ask questions, to get curious,
to use language like, "I wonder if you might be having a victim mindset
here. Are you suggesting that you feel wronged and want others to take
action to resolve your tensions?" (that's a rough first quick suggested
language, far from ideal)

I should eat my own ideas and use questions myself. Are you imagining
that Deb's emphasis on her own experience is designed or effectively
setting her in a victim role?

Partly because I know Deb, my own interpretation is that she does not
feel like a victim at all. I suspect she's done her due diligence
processing her own thoughtful take-responsibility approach to her own
situation. I think she's sharing her perspective here for the sake of
telling others about problems she sees that affect others in our
movement and that have the consequence of losing valuable members who
leave the movement or do not join.

I have had a decent number of interactions with RMS, and none of them
particularly bothered me personally. So, I'm not from any sort of
victim-mentality when I suggest the concerns are real and shouldn't be
minimized.

I think it's a simple matter. RMS has pros and cons in his effect on the
movement. Do the pros outweigh the cons? Maybe they do for participation
of RMS more than leadership in a Board role? I was happy to hear him
*speak* at LibrePlanet, I like hearing his thoughts. What should we do
to be as objective as we can at evaluating these questions? I suggest
one step is to take seriously the *input* from various sources whether
or not they are in some victim-consciousness (though we could take that
into account).

Again, I think the victim-mentality issues are widespread, rampant,
these days. And probably even in a case like Deb's, they aren't 100%
absent, we all have reactivity that comes and goes. But I really suspect
that it applies very little to Deb in this case and in her posts here —
even though I have no hesitation to suggest to Deb that she can come
across that way. I think avoiding that impression is helpful, and I hope
she can consider your feedback for whatever utility it can bring her
*even though* I think you were far too bold in how strongly you asserted
your conclusions.

Respectfully,
Aaron