Re: Helping new contributors

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Helping new contributors
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2021 14:39:09 +0300

* Paul Sutton via libreplanet-discuss <libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org>
[2021-04-09 14:08]:
> Hi All
>
> In an effort to try and recruit and importantly help find more developers at
> all levels I am trying to reach out to people locally.
>
> I think what is needed here, is a clearly laid out pathway in to free
> software contribution using free software tools.

Which software in particular?

> So for example, a project needs to make it clear which programming languages
> / frameworks or skills are needed, from there we can find ways to helping
> learners develop those skills

I would not say so, as it is not a company with limited resources. We
are society and we contribute our knowledge and skills as we wish and
want, thus there is no limit in our resources. That is why it is not
good to say in free software projects that specific skills or
programming languages are needed.

Instead, welcoming everybody's contribution is better approach. This
is how it was done for many years. This process then helps that some
people give only suggestions, some people will donate, some will
become fans and promoters, some will contribute patches, and some will
enter into core development teams.

My suggestions is not to say which skills or programming languages are
needed. But I understand you are browsing list of programmers and wish
to ask them to contribute.

Then think about specific project and find yourself what is required,
and try to find people that way.

> How can we take people from having some basic IT knowledge and then
> help them develop further, without it taking up masses of our time
> (unless people pay us of course)

Simple. Open up computer club. Put several computers, advertise and
people will come from the area to learn. Ask them to pay memberships
and come as many times as they wish and want. This is great activity,
I have been doing it.

Then schedule programming classes. I have been teaching people already
as minor. Let them teach each other, we programmed in machine language
on peculiar computers, even today we do not know their names.

I have same intention now, I have soon enough computers to start, some
furniture and room space and people, it can work. I will inform here
when it starts. It will be named GNU Free Software Club.

> It would just be useful to have some sort of backing to this. I have joined
> DebianAcademy team to help develop materials, so they are working on a
> packaging course, and a few others.  I created a course on LaTeX
> presentations, so people could contribute)

Great. There are free computer courses online already on
Wikiversity. Consider contributing into that
database. https://www.wikiversity.org/

https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Computer

> I am just concerned that if we insist on using fully free software
> tool online tools, people are not going to bother, they will however

I don't bother about that, computer club will be named GNU Free
Software Club and it will be clear from beginning what it is about. If
they use some software at their home, it does not matter, but in the
club, in physical space there will be no such.

> I can present an idea to people locally (Torbay, Devon), but I am under the
> serious impression we need to spell out EXACTLY what people are to expect
> and learn, rather than suggesting a general idea.

For each class of knowledge you teach people different things.

Please state clearly purpose of your project?

> By doing this ourselves, as advocates of free software, we can
> include links to why free software methologies are better, even if
> we have to be a little flexible in what we use for support and
> communication, Discourse my not be ideal, but would we rather people
> used facebook or discord?

Of course not Facebook. It is very easy to establish XMPP chat, it can
be on the website or by using various applications, it will work from
any device. There are other free software communication packages.

> My support group is about respecting privacy /user freedom as much
> as possible.

In that case how can you use Facebook as a tool? Do you know that FB
data has been leaked for 522 millions?

https://hyperscope.link/3/6/8/5/8/Direct-download-of-533M-Facebook-users-phone-numbers-and-personal-data-have-been-leaked-online-36858.html

> We can use BBB for classroom type chat, over using zoom or teams.

BBB like in good old times? Which one?

Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

https://rms-support-letter.github.io/