Re: Helping new contributors

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Helping new contributors
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2021 10:48:14 +0300

* Suushi via libreplanet-discuss <libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org>
[2021-04-12 17:22]:

> > > Of course not Facebook. It is very easy to establish XMPP chat, it can
> > > be on the website or by using various applications, it will work from
> > > any device. There are other free software communication packages.

> > > In that case how can you use Facebook as a tool? Do you know that FB
> > > data has been leaked for 522 millions?
> >
> > I am saying i am not going to use facebook hence I want to use
> > discourse, irc, etc,   My point is, that while discourse may not be 100
> > percent free software  it s better than facebook.
> > >
> > > https://hyperscope.link/3/6/8/5/8/Direct-download-of-533M-Facebook-users-phone-numbers-and-personal-data-have-been-leaked-online-36858.html

Discourse is according to information here, fully free software
licensed under GPL2: https://www.discourse.org/

> Are you kidding? Facebook is obviously evil, but discord is a nonfree
> spyware program that you pretty much *need* to install on your computer
> in order to utilize it's full functionality.

Discourse was mentioned, not Discord, which is proprietary.

> Why should we or anyone concede to the enemy and compromise our
> principles to use something awful like discord for the sake of
> short-term convenience?

That is right. Maybe original poster was meaning Discord, but wrote
Discourse, those are different software, one is free (Discourse) and
one is proprietary (Discord).

Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

https://stallmansupport.org/