Re: Helping new contributors

From: Lori Nagel
Subject: Re: Helping new contributors
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2021 15:26:45 +0000 (UTC)

   I want to clarify some things that make it hard for software users to
   advocate for freedom respecting software.
   If we do not know what all these programs are and why people use them,
   it makes it much harder to do anything about them.
   Facebook = cloud service running non-free software
   why people use it = friends are on it and no good replacement for the
   "groups" feature in federated social media.
   (else I could definitely move some groups to it, especially in a
   "crisis" moment.)
   Discord = cloud service running non-free software
   why people use it = people like the persistent chat feature, that they
   don't have to leave their computer at home idling
   and wasting electricity 24/7 just to keep the chat logs going on a
   room. built in voice chat is a bonus, but in my experience doesn't
   necessarily get used a lot. (as people in different time zones aren't
   necessarily all on at the same time)
   Discourse = freedom respecting software under a free software license.
   It runs on someone else's server.  (as it is for communities)  It uses
   javascript in your browser.
   why people use it = People like Discourse communities because the
   software has made it easy to find new posts, get rid of spam before it
   starts, and keep the spirit of the community going.

   On Monday, April 12, 2021, 11:18:41 AM EDT, Tobias Platen
   <tplaten@posteo.de> wrote:
   I have never used Discord, but you can use Jami as a replacement.