Re: Helping new contributors

From: Suushi
Subject: Re: Helping new contributors
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2021 09:04:18 -0400

> >> By doing this ourselves, as advocates of free software, we can
> >> include links to why free software methologies are better, even if
> >> we have to be a little flexible in what we use for support and
> >> communication, Discourse my not be ideal, but would we rather people
> >> used facebook or discord?
> >
> > Of course not Facebook. It is very easy to establish XMPP chat, it can
> > be on the website or by using various applications, it will work from
> > any device. There are other free software communication packages.
> >
> >> My support group is about respecting privacy /user freedom as much
> >> as possible.
> >
> > In that case how can you use Facebook as a tool? Do you know that FB
> > data has been leaked for 522 millions?
>
> I am saying i am not going to use facebook hence I want to use
> discourse, irc, etc,   My point is, that while discourse may not be 100
> percent free software  it s better than facebook.
> >
> > https://hyperscope.link/3/6/8/5/8/Direct-download-of-533M-Facebook-users-phone-numbers-and-personal-data-have-been-leaked-online-36858.html

Are you kidding? Facebook is obviously evil, but discord is a nonfree
spyware program that you pretty much *need* to install on your computer
in order to utilize it's full functionality. That means you must leave
it running in the background in order to get notifications, see
messages and receive calls while you're going about your daily business
on the computer, and it is basically this black box that is just
sitting there listening and recording the processes running on your
machine. It is made and used by scoundrels and anything you say on
there, text or voice, you ought to assume to be logged and recorded.
It is very much still social media, with all the negative aspects of
facebook and others intact. It ropes in young people and gets them
addicted to the dopamine from the social stimulation and it's hard to
detach from it once all your 'net friends are on there (speaking from
experience). They may use "gamer speak" or whatever in their program or
their twitter for PR, but don't let it fool you, discord is not your
friend and friends don't let friends use discord.

I would suggest you refer to this article, it covers some of the things
I have mentioned. https://spyware.neocities.org/articles/discord.html

Why should we or anyone concede to the enemy and compromise our
principles to use something awful like discord for the sake of
short-term convenience? That is a terrible quagmire to get stuck in --
not only are you sacrificing your own freedom and privacy for immediate
convenience, but you are coercing others into doing the same, and it is
possible that you or those other people become addicted to the dopamine
rush from other "servers" on discord!

Why not just start a channel on freenode? It's trivial to do so and
have people unfamiliar with IRC connect using a web-based client, once
they are more comfortable with the protocol they can install a real
client. It's sort of a n00b filter as well -- IRC may look intimidating
(to some people) at first, but isn't anything difficult once you get
used to it.

If you absolutely *must* have voice communications for some reason,
there is always mumble.

It's easy to tell which software projects are worth taking seriously,
just look at whether they use IRC or discord.

--
Suushi <suushicatxd@dismail.de>