Re: Linux distro chooser

From: jahoti
Subject: Re: Linux distro chooser
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 02:57:00 +0000

On 10/27/21 5:23 AM, Jean Louis wrote:
* Arthur Torrey <arthur_torrey@comcast.net> [2021-10-26 06:51]:
IMHO given that a user starting on the Freedom Ladder probably has
hardware that was purchased for a non-free OS, pointing them at an
all-free distro is setting them up for a bad experience...

Quite contrary, giving proprietary software to user without his
knowledge is subjugating user to control of software makers, that has
been shown over and over again to be bad experience.

I would not call it "Freedom Ladder", you give me impression it is
something difficult, while I don't share that viewpoint.

True as that may be, it is important to consider that switching to a new OS (even part-time) is a relatively large step, especially for those who don't do so regularly. If the experience does not begin well, there is a real risk people will give up and be less willing to try again in future.

That's not to suggest recommending non-free distros, just that great care be taken to ensure people will not install the free ones only to be frustrated by them.