Re: FSF continuously harms Free Hardware

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: FSF continuously harms Free Hardware
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 22:14:59 +0300

* Jacob Hrbek <kreyren@rixotstudio.cz> [2022-01-31 17:52]:
> I agree that this is a problem, but as presented FSF doesn't enable us
> to use other terms as it's too software-oriented so this is the best we
> can do even when the hardware is released under GPLv3.

I cannot see how FSF doesn't enable you to use any terms you wish and
want.

Purpose of FSF is distributing free software, campaigning for it. How
is that disabling you to use any kind of language or terms in your
life or your activities?

And I cannot see how is hardware related to GPLv3, as it is software
license related to copyrights. Now you say it is related to
hardware.

When RMS designed GPL he was not alone in writing those texts. It
requires serious legal qualifications, skills and experience. To
design a long lasting copyright license for software requires bunch of
efforts.

What I suggest to you is that you start re-defining, defining,
re-thinking and fixing very good all the legal issues by using legal
assistance, attorneys, advisors, various assistants or foundations and
organizations which support the cause.

Right now, it seem like you are confused, not me. You speak of free
software license that should relate to hardware. But it is not meant
for hardware.

I do understand what you want with the hardware, but you should not
mix the terms.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns