Re: Should we take steps to reduce russian access to Free Software?

From: Aaron Wolf
Subject: Re: Should we take steps to reduce russian access to Free Software?
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2022 08:20:33 -0800

There has been a lot of overreacting to a minor post here.

I will readily agree that I was simply wrong when *I* (personally, I represent no organization here) suggested that the FSF could make a statement about war. There's a degree to which the org can say some things, but indeed it is a mission-driven organization that should not take sides in unrelated political debates.

That said, Devin didn't take sides in any sense or say anything inappropriate on behalf of the FSF. The only intention of his message was to say essentially, "FSF will comply with any legal requirements imposed on it" without even suggesting that any legal requirements are applicable at this time. The idea that Devin's message meant anything other thing this is pure misunderstanding.

The gist of my original personal message was simply to assert the main idea which I still believe: that free software organizations and developers can state opinions independently of legal and licensing terms. In other words, while I was clarifying that software freedoms do not and shall not discriminate among uses and users, that does not in itself block anyone from expressing requests and opinions about uses and users.

In other words, I can very well say that I don't like a particular use or user of some software without that taking away the freedoms of that user. Similarly, FSF could potentially say that a particular corporation is overall acting in opposition to software freedom and that FSF takes the position of asking that corporation to forgo all use of free software. I'm not saying FSF *should* make such a statement. I'm just saying that FSF *may* make such a statement without it having any effect on the actual freedoms of that corporation to use free software.

In short: political opinions are independent of software freedoms. Political opinions may be expressed appropriately (which is typically *inappropriate* for FSF if the opinion is unrelated to the mission). And Devin didn't even express any opinion about anything. He only expressed that FSF is paying attention to sanctions in order to determine whether any legal restrictions affect FSF, and if so, FSF will comply will the law.

Aaron