Re: Should we take steps to reduce russian access to Free Software?

From: Valentino Giudice
Subject: Re: Should we take steps to reduce russian access to Free Software?
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2022 20:10:44 +0100

Speaking for myself, I agree with what Aaron has written now.

I was highlighting a problem which affects many free software
organizations. There is no reason why this problem should affect free
software organizations in particular and it's in principle unrelated
to free software. It's just that I could name many free software
organizations that make political statements outside of their mission.

I would say, indeed, that being a software developer, or even the
developer of a particular piece of software being used in war, and
commenting on the actions of parties involved in such war, are two
independent things: anyone can make such comments. Such comments also
don't affect one's right to use the software, neither legally nor
morally.

Obviously, as we now agree, such statement are not the job of
mission-driven orgs (except when part of the mission).