Re: Should we take steps to reduce russian access to Free Software?> the

From: Matt Ivie
Subject: Re: Should we take steps to reduce russian access to Free Software?> the headache of it all dissolves in forgiveness
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2022 15:22:59 -0800

On Tue, 2022-03-08 at 11:01 +0000, Jacob Hrbek wrote:
>  > I used the term "help your neighbor" to describe the purpose of
> freedom 2 because "help your neighbor" is a traditional way to refer
> cooperating with your community and with the rest of society. -- RMS
>
> How is that justifying the use of free software in russian military
> do war crimes worth of projected 1 000 000 civilian death _including
> children_?
In this case you're blaming the tool for the action of the wielder of
the tool.

> This is not cooperating with community and society, it's mass murder
> by
> complacency and sooner we take action on this the sooner the russian
> gov
> will have issues getting updates for GNU and FSF to contribute to the
> non-fascist side of this war.

The terms of the license are very clear. If you want to enforce other
terms you need another license.

Further, how do you propose we keep Russia from using Free Software?
Enforcing software licenses in the US is a difficult task and to do it
we don't need the backing of a military.