Re: Should distros take steps to reduce russian access to Free Software?

From: Miles Fidelman
Subject: Re: Should distros take steps to reduce russian access to Free Software?
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2022 11:55:05 -0500

Jean Louis wrote:
* Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@meetinghouse.net> [2022-03-11 20:54]:
Then again, we might want to spend a bit more time SCRUTINIZING SUBMISSIONS
to the repositories.  I expect that the Russians (among others) are spending
a bit more time, of late, inserting malware into things - to better
distribute disinformation, the better to collect names of folks to arrest,
the better to prepare for large scale cyberattacks.
Please do not spread FUD or Fears, Uncertainties and Doubts.

Let's be sure that our efforts are helping the revolution, not the man.
That is not purpose of Libreplanet mailing list to support this or
that political opinions.
So how is posting a security concern - based on well-documented conduct of a national government currently conducting cyber operations - suddenly a political opinion, or against the code of conduct?

Unless, perhaps, one is intentionally trying to deflect scrutiny?

Miles Fidelman

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined:
nothing works and no one knows why.  ... unknown