Re: Should we take steps to reduce russian access to Free Software?> the

From: Ole Aamot
Subject: Re: Should we take steps to reduce russian access to Free Software?> the headache of it all dissolves in forgiveness
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2022 00:44:07 +0200

   On Wed, Mar 9, 2022 at 5:22 AM Richard Stallman <[1]rms@gnu.org> wrote:

     [[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider
     ]]]
     [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,
     ]]]
     [[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example.
     ]]]
     Free software means that the developers cannot decide who can use it
     and who cannot.  If we had the power to stop Russia from using a
     program,
     we would also have the power to anyone else from using it.
     That would not be free software.

   True.
   We could become uncivil and block people from downloading a free
   software program, but there are no such (as far as I know) ipchains
   blocklists on [2]www.gnomeradio.org, so
   there is no reason to do so either.  We live in civil democracies, but
   Russia and Putin has invaded Ukraine.
   I have recently added Retro FM in Kyiv, Ukraine after discussions with
   Magnus ([3]dizzi90@gmail.com), when we saw that someone with a Russian
   IP address deliberatedly tried to remove Retro FM from the list of
   Ukrainian radio stations on [4]en.wikipedia.org, so we decided to loop
   censorship on Wikipedia and therefore published the station in GNOME
   Radio 16.0.6 for GNOME 42 to a global mirror of GNOME.
   See
   [5]https://blogs.gnome.org/oleaamot/2022/03/19/gnome-radio-16-for-gnome
   -42/ and [6]http://www.gnomeradio.org/
   --