Re: lilypond does not work with Mac OS 10.15 (Catalina)

From: Eric Benson
Subject: Re: lilypond does not work with Mac OS 10.15 (Catalina)
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2019 11:41:49 -0400

I could, but it is quite unreasonable to expect Lilypond users to build
from source code, especially having to build MacPorts from source as well.
It isn't very hard to do, but it does take several hours.

Follow the instructions on the MacPorts site to build MacPorts from
sources. Then, run the command

sudo port install lilypond-devel

This will eventually fail while trying to build gcc8. Then edit the
Portfile for lilypond-devel as shown in the attachment provided, adding a
line for macports-gcc-9 above the line for macports-gcc-8. Then issue the
command again

sudo port install lilypond-devel

That should work, after which you will have /opt/local/bin/lilypond
installed. You have to make sure that /opt/local/bin is on your $PATH.

I haven't tried to build the Mac OS application, Lilypond.app, because I
don't use it myself. I only use the command line lilypond.