Re: Creating MP3 files

From: mskala
Subject: Re: Creating MP3 files
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2019 19:04:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 15 Oct 2019, Martin Tarenskeen wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Oct 2019, address@hidden wrote:
>
> > There are free soundfonts available, and other commercial ones for sounds
> > other than piano, but I don't have specific recommendations.
>
> You will need a General Midi (GM/GS/XG) compatible soundfont to play/convert
> Midifiles with correct sounds if you have defined other instruments than just
> piano (the default instrument) in your lilypond score.

Not necessarily - you can remap the instrument numbers either in Lilypond
or most synth software.  I did that to use a non-GM organ soundfont with
different instrument numbers for the different stops, in
https://audio.northcoastsynthesis.com/?t=loquat .  But it's
true that using a soundfont with GM numbers will give you one less thing
to think about, if the GM instruments are the ones you want to use.

--
Matthew Skala
address@hidden                 People before tribes.