Re: Cadenza Senza Tempo Problem

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Cadenza Senza Tempo Problem
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2019 22:53:28 +0100

Am Mo., 28. Okt. 2019 um 11:22 Uhr schrieb Reggie <address@hidden>:

> Hello list. I am struggling with this. Please don't laugh I just feel like
> crying I cannot see what is right in front of me I must be. I am attempting
> to learn more deeper in lilypond and try a cadenza sort of passage. I see
> two problems I am bad at. One, how do I get the trills to be side by
> alongside? Two, I can't understand how to make piano empty system end at the
> same location vertical as the trill staff? What is the secret I feel so
> stupid. Thank you for your kind help. Is there any details about working
> with free music cadenza pieces? I've read the documentation section on
> cadenza mode but not in practice I'm struggling.
>
> \version "2.19.83"
> <<
>   \time 4/4
>
>   \new Staff {
>     \cadenzaOn
>     \hide Score.TimeSignature
>     r8 a'4\startTrillSpan^\markup {"senza tempo -" \italic "quasi cadenza"}
> b'\startTrillSpan\stopTrillSpan a'\startTrillSpan\stopTrillSpan
>
>     b'\startTrillSpan\stopTrillSpan
>

>     e'''\stopTrillSpan f'''\startTrillSpan e'''\startTrillSpan\stopTrillSpan
> f'''\stopTrillSpan
>     \bar "" \break
>
>     \cadenzaOff
>     \time 4/4 c''' c''' c''' c'''
>
>   }
>   \new PianoStaff {
>     <<
>       \new Staff  { \clef treble s1*2   }
>       \new Staff  { \clef bass  s1*2  }
>     >>

>   }
> >>

> \paper {
>   ragged-right = ##f
> }
>
> Chou_Wen-chungg.jpg
> <http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/t5625/Chou_Wen-chungg.jpg>
>

> --
> Sent from: http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/User-f3.html

The space at first line-end is because you provide a new
4/4-TimeSignature. Mere hiding it will not affect the space reserved
for it.
Better do:
    \override Score.TimeSignature.break-visibility = ##(#f #t #t)

The trills I'd shorten a bit, maybe set staff-padding in an additional override.

Makes for:

\paper { ragged-right = ##f }

<<
  %\time 4/4

  \new Staff {
    \cadenzaOn
    \hide Score.TimeSignature
    r8
    \override TrillSpanner.bound-details.right.padding = 1.5
    \override TrillSpanner.staff-padding = 2.5
    a'4 \startTrillSpan^\markup {"senza tempo -" \italic "quasi cadenza"}
    b'  \startTrillSpan\stopTrillSpan
    a'  \startTrillSpan\stopTrillSpan
    b'  \startTrillSpan\stopTrillSpan
    e'''\stopTrillSpan
    \override TrillSpanner.staff-padding = 6
    f'''\startTrillSpan
    e'''\startTrillSpan\stopTrillSpan
    f'''\stopTrillSpan
    \bar ""
    \revert TrillSpanner.staff-padding
    \revert TrillSpanner.bound-details.right.padding
    \cadenzaOff
    \break
    \override Score.TimeSignature.break-visibility = ##(#f #t #t)
    \time 4/4

  }
  \new PianoStaff {
    <<
      \new Staff  { \clef treble  s8 s4*8 \bar ""   }
      \new Staff  { \clef bass    s8 s4*8 \bar ""   }