Re: Tight spacing in mensural notation (was: Re: Cadenza Senza Tempo Pro

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Tight spacing in mensural notation (was: Re: Cadenza Senza Tempo Problem)
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2019 23:12:42 +0100

Am Di., 29. Okt. 2019 um 16:28 Uhr schrieb Graham King
<address@hidden>:

> "...and most important you want tight space between all notes as
> though it's not allowing the space for barlines and more."
>
> This unanswered part of Reggie's question in [1] lead me to re-scratch an old
> itch.  In manuscripts and old printed editions of mensural notation, notes
> and rests are horizontally densely-spaced without regard for their musical
> duration.  I have struggled to reproduce this in lilypond, and the nearest I
> can get is this:
>
> \version "2.19.82"
>
> \new Score \with {
>   \omit TimeSignature
>   \override SpacingSpanner.spacing-increment = #0.0
>   \override SpacingSpanner.packed-spacing = ##t
>   \override NoteHead.style = #'petrucci
> }
>
> {
>   \cadenzaOn c'\longa \breve 1 \breve 1 2 2 1 4 4 1 2
>   % \bar "" \break % uncomment to observe effect

Don't understand and not sure _which_ effect you mean ...

>   2 8 8 8 8 c''1 b' a' g'
> }
>
> It would be good to be able to impose a small amount of horizontal space
> between the noteheads, but I'm at a loss to see how that can be done.  Any
> ideas?
>
> -- Graham
>
> [1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2019-10/msg00420.html

Probably below may be of some help?

\paper { ragged-right = ##t }

\new Score \with {
  \omit TimeSignature
  \override SpacingSpanner.spacing-increment = 1
  \override SpacingSpanner.base-shortest-duration = #(ly:make-moment -3)
  \override SpacingSpanner.common-shortest-duration = #(ly:make-moment -3)
  \override NoteHead.style = #'petrucci

  %% play around with below, probably useful are settings between 2 and ~10
  \override SpacingSpanner.shortest-duration-space = #2
}

{
  \cadenzaOn
  c'\longa \breve 1 \breve 1 2 2 1 4 4 1 2
  %\bar "" \break % uncomment to observe effect
  2 8 8 8 8 c''1 b' a' g'

  Harm