Re: Copyright, was [Re: Musicology with Lilypond (and now correct attach

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: Copyright, was [Re: Musicology with Lilypond (and now correct attachments ;-)]
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2019 23:47:34 +1100

Yes, ... international copyright lawyer required for even such a simple thing. In many cases it may be better to put nothing - as the GNU lists do - and let national law deal with problems and interpretation. Whatever you put, some jurisdiction somewhere will find it to be in error, and that just causes headaches. But I really don't think there is an issue with this list. The topic only arose due to what I consider strange comments about the GPL licence for software (not music).

Interestingly, Google states:

https://policies.google.com/terms?hl=en

Some of our Services allow you to upload, submit, store, send or receive content. You retain ownership of any intellectual property rights that you hold in that content. In short, what belongs to you stays yours.

And then they go on to point out the can make derivative works and do what they pretty well much like with your content in the next paragraph, exactly as you say.

Andrew