Re: Musicology with Lilypond (and now correct attachments ;-)

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Musicology with Lilypond (and now correct attachments ;-)
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2019 08:28:22 +0100

Am 29. Oktober 2019 02:57:30 MEZ schrieb address@hidden:
>On 10/28, Klaus Blum wrote:
>> AFAIK, the public domain licence also applies to anything published
>on
>> the LY mailing list. I hope that I'm not wrong as I don't intend to
>> "steal" other people's code...
>
>I don't think that list users agree to a CLA or otherwise give anyone
>else the ability to decide how any code they share is licensed, so
>unless the author of a code snippet explicitly releases it under a free
>license, or the snippet is too trivial to be copyrightable, then in
>most
>jurisdictions the code snippet probably is non-free.  Most list users
>probably *intend* for the code they share to be free, so they are
>unlikely to attempt to enforce any copyright restrictions, but in the
>177 countries who signed the Berne Convention they legally reserve all
>rights to the code.
>
>Most LSR snippets are free probably non-free as well.  "Public domain"
>is ambiguous in the context of works whose copyright restrictions have
>not expired (or are not public domain from some other reason, such as
>being published by the US government).  The closest you can get to
>"releasing" your otherwise-copyrighted work into the public domain in
>all jurisdictions is to explicitly apply CC0[1] to your work.  Some LSR
>snippets might include a free license statement, and some are shared by
>the author elsewhere under a free license, but for the rest, the legal
>status will vary by jurisdiction.  Since many contributions are
>anonymous, they could be considered orphan works.[2]  In some countries
>it is legal to use orphan works, but in many they are in limbo: you
>can't use them without permission, but there's no one to get permission
>from.  Like with the list though, I'm sure that most contributors to
>the
>LSR intended for their code to be free and are unlikely to attempt to
>enforce any copyright restrictions.

Well, the LSR website explicitly states that it's contents is in the public
domain. If I read correctly your email this would have to be considered
illegal, especially given that many snippets there are uploaded not by their
original authors but by someone who uses the results of a mailing list
discussion

Is there anything that should be done about the LSR?

Urs