Re: Copyright, was [Re: Musicology with Lilypond (and now correct attach

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Copyright, was [Re: Musicology with Lilypond (and now correct attachments ; -)]
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2019 15:59:49 +0100

Dick Seabrook <address@hidden> writes:

> Perhaps we need a "graffiti law" -- that anything written in a public place
> or on
> someone else's property becomes the property of the public, or owner
> respectively.
> Otherwise what right do owners have to clean graffiti off their buildings?

You are confusing ownership of the medium with copyright over the
content.  Cleaning graffiti off a building is exercising control over
the medium in your possession.

Selling postcards of your building prominently featuring the graffiti is
creating copies of the content: that would be problematic since it is
solely the privilege of the copyright holder.

Breaking the wall into pieces of graffiti you sell is "first sale":
lawfully disposing of the medium containing the "legally" acquired
authorized copy (the author chose to put it there, and you did not
commit any illegal act for getting it there I assume, like holding a gun
to their head) in your possession.

--
David Kastrup