Re: Musicology with Lilypond (and now correct attachments ;-)

From: mason
Subject: Re: Musicology with Lilypond (and now correct attachments ;-)
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2019 16:36:36 -0700

On 10/28, Karsten Reincke wrote:
> The analysis package is a challenge for me:
>
> a) It is licensed under GPL. I think this is not appropriate for
> music.

Sure, the GPL is intended for software.  For music, a CC license would
be more appropriate.  The analysis package is pretty clearly software,
though.  CC BY-SA-4.0 is one-way-compatible with GPLv3, so if for some
reason there is a need to combine the code with a substantial amount of
music, I guess the music could be licensed under CC BY-SA-4.0 with the
code remaining under the GPL.  At first glance though, the only music it
appears to contain are some brief fragments in the usage examples, which
are probably too trivial to be worth licensing differently from the
code.

> In a few days I will write a little article about this topic. But
> without changing that license I cannot contribute to it.

I don't see why not, unless you want to create a proprietary derivative
of the result or hope that someone else will, in which case the GPL is
working as intended.

> b) I did not find an example, which can be downloaded and be compiled
> without additional 'installation steps'. And unfortunately, also the
> home page of openlilylib is forthe moment more a frame than an
> information source. Where can I get such a tutorial?

Yes, the website is empty, but there is a lot of information in the
Github repositories[1] and their wikis.  I suggest starting here.[2]

Mason

[1] https://github.com/openlilylib/

[2] https://github.com/openlilylib/oll-core/wiki