Stanza Collision

From: Fr. Samuel Springuel
Subject: Stanza Collision
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2020 11:21:59 -0500

I’m still working on getting my modified slur spacing issues worked out and
have yet to come up with a solution for the collision between \set stanza = "*"
and the words when a slur occurs on either side of the asterisk.  (You’ll note
that the first asterisk in the MWE doesn’t have any problems as the syllables
around it have no slurs.)  At this point, I’m wondering if there isn’t just
some sort of manual way to say “insert additional space here” that won’t effect
the alignment of the lyrics and the notes.

I’ve tried overriding with the padding and X-offset properties of StanzaNumber,
but while I can use these to push the asterisk around with these (and even get
rid of the collision all together with StanzaNumber.padding = #0), they don’t
create more space for the asterisk to occupy.  Playing with X-extent doesn’t
seem to do anything.

I also tried overriding LyricsText.X-offset on the syllables on either side of
the asterisk, but that broke the alignment between the Lyrics and its note.
Playing with X-extent doesn’t seem to do anything.

Are there other ways of inserting space into the lyrics (that will move the
notes above to preserve relative alignment) that I haven’t tried?

Fr. Samuel, OSB
(R. Padraic Springuel)
St. Anselm’s Abbey
4501 South Dakota Ave, NE