Re: Stanza Collision

From: Fr. Samuel Springuel
Subject: Re: Stanza Collision
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2020 16:09:15 -0500

> On 6 Dec, 2020, at 3:55 PM, Matthew Fong <oxengen@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello Fr Samuel,
>
> It sounds like we are solving almost the same issue with note entry, and
> Aaron Hill created a function which basically scales note values so that they
> group together nicely. And the clutter from manual scaling is removed
> entirely.

> chantNotes.mode-II_cd-d-de-c-def-fe-de-e = \relative c' {
>     % 1
>     \mnn { c4( d) } \mnn { d4( e) } c \mnn { d( d e) } f \mnn { f( e) } \mnn
> { d( e) } e
>     \divisioMinima

This removes some of the clutter, but not all.  You’ve still got both the \mnn
function and the slurs applied to the notes.  My goal is to eliminate the
clutter entirely and get the entry down to something like:

> chantNotes.mode-II_cd-d-de-c-def-fe-de-e = \relative c' {
>     % 1
>     c( d) d( e) c d( d e) f f( e) d( e) e
>     \divisioMinima

> On 6 Dec, 2020, at 3:20 PM, Kieren MacMillan <kieren_macmillan@sympatico.ca>
> wrote:
>
> I think an engraver like that is the right approach. The last piece of the
> solution, as I see it, is to take the syllable attached to the [first note of
> the] slur/melisma, add the "*" with some padding to the left, then reset the
> X-offset or self-alignment-X so that the syllable stays in the correct
> position relative to the note.

This has me thinking and I’ve come up with the attached to start.  It attaches
the asterisk to the next syllable, but still needs work on the spacing.
Perhaps my brain just isn’t working at the moment, but how do I go about
tweaking the spacing from inside the aster function?

Fr. Samuel, OSB
(R. Padraic Springuel)
St. Anselm’s Abbey
4501 South Dakota Ave, NE