Re: Stanza Collision

From: Fr. Samuel Springuel
Subject: Re: Stanza Collision
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2020 13:41:56 -0500

> On 6 Dec, 2020, at 12:00 PM, Kieren MacMillan <kieren_macmillan@sympatico.ca>
> wrote:
>
> I’m hoping to avoid the Slur_spacing_engraver entirely.  ;)
> What does it do exactly?

It tightens the spacing between notes which are inside a slur so that the
musical sense is clear without the usual bow (though, it’s a separate setting
to actually omit the bow).  Attached are two versions of the same antiphon: the
first uses the usual bow for slurs, the second uses the Slur_spacing_engraver
instead.  Both are compiled from the same source (except for consisting the
Slur_spacing_engraver and "\omit”ing the bow).

I’m deliberately avoiding the suggestion in the manual on using a fixed time
and tuplets because I feel that construction makes the source for the notes
really difficult to enter and read because of all the interspersed durations
(and the calculations necessary to figure them out).  By using the
Slur_spacing_engraver I eliminate the need to worry about the durations at all
and simply slur notes that belong to the same syllable  (which is normal
practice anyway).

Fr. Samuel, OSB
(R. Padraic Springuel)
St. Anselm’s Abbey