Re: Stanza Collision

From: Fr. Samuel Springuel
Subject: Re: Stanza Collision
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2020 11:48:22 -0500

> On 6 Dec, 2020, at 10:37 AM, Kieren MacMillan <kieren_macmillan@sympatico.ca>
> wrote:
>
> Where is the asterisk supposed to sit?
>
> Horizontal: Just to the right of the last cantor-only word? Just to the left
> of the first choir word? Centred between those words?

Closer to just left of the first choir word.  There can be some “springiness”
in its placement for spacing reasons, so long as it doesn’t collide with the
words on either side and there is some clear whitespace around it (i.e. I’d
like to avoid a “word*word” look).

> Vertical: Centered? On the text baseline?

In the usual place with respect to the text baseline for an asterisk.  That can
vary from font to font, but usually is such that the top of the asterisk glyph
is level with the top of they typical capital letter.

> When I start with this really simple snippet, it seems (as I understand it)
> that we’re already close:

Said simple snippet demonstrates that the default position for an asterisk
placed by \set stanza is indeed right where I want it to be.  The problem is
that when the Slur_spacing_engraver is used, that positioning is no longer
respected, leading to the collisions.

Fr. Samuel, OSB
(R. Padraic Springuel)
St. Anselm’s Abbey