Re: Nested transposition

From: Valentin Petzel
Subject: Re: Nested transposition
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2021 02:16:52 +0100

As far as I know transpose should only really be used with absolute pitches,
as it would be quite impossible to do it otherwise. Think of it like this:
Say we are in relative mode and have c' f. Then f will be above c. If you then
do c' \transpose f a f, then the transposed a would be above the c – so it
would need an octave indication. But the octave the music has to be put into
depends of the previous note. So a single transpose function cannot provide
this.

So, always use absolute pitch with transpose!

And by the way: Lilypond transposes you example correctly. Your main problem
is that usually there should not be a C# in C tonality. Usually it is easier
to go from C to Db, which is a minor 2nd instead of an augmented prime.

Cheers,
Valentin