Re: why Kieren is a \relative evangelist [was “Re: Nested transposition"

From: Paul Scott
Subject: Re: why Kieren is a \relative evangelist [was “Re: Nested transposition"]
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2021 14:38:15 -0700

On 3/17/21 1:45 PM, antlists wrote:
On 17/03/2021 08:23, Michael Gerdau wrote:
I don't have any of the show stopper Kieren is so evangelistic about and very clearly find \relative easier to enter via a normal keyboard by a long shot. Entering all those "'" (requires SHIFT on a german keyboard) and "," is not at all fluent.

Well, I'm a "hunt-n-peck" one-fingered pianist, so I guess I'd find using a midi keyboard MUCH harder than a computer one (as a guitarist, I found that was great for improving my typing skills :-)
Having read Kieren's method of using midi to enter the pitches and later adding the durations I may let the idea of a midi keyboard go.

imho the near universality of keyboard competence defines Western Music as "can be played on a piano" and has severely damaged our understanding of what music actually is. Musicians like me who can't play piano are very rare ...

And why would a copyist be able to play keyboard?
Or not.  There's no reason for them to be mutually exclusive.

I also find reading \relative much easier but that my be depending on what you're used to.

likewise

I seldom use transpose and I know of no case where I have nested transpose. With unnested transpose I have not yet had a problem. And frescobaldi does very easily transform from \relative to \absolute, should I ever need it.

Well, as a trombonist who plays in both brass and concert bands (and used to play in an orchestra), I use transpose all the time, and never had any trouble.

Therefor my conclusion is:
Kieren surely has good reason to prefer \absolute, but deriving that \relative is inferior and should be avoided is overdoing it IMO.

Agreed. Okay, my instrument wouldn't use much by way of octave modifiers,
Bass clef instruments is where I just started switching to \absolute.
but I'd hate to be writing a piccolo trumpet part ...

\fixed should make extremely high or low parts much easier.

I think remembering \fixed and the challenges of editing mistakes in \relative is convincing me to switch to absolute. Probably the biggest problem I encounter with \relative is when I enter some music and then extract a section of it into a variable for use somewhere else and having the original shift octaves somewhere in the middle.  Then I have to search for the shift and correct it.

Stay safe and well,

Paul