Re: why Kieren is a \relative evangelist [was “Re: Nested transposition"

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: why Kieren is a \relative evangelist [was “Re: Nested transposition"]
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2021 10:49:52 +0100

Paul Scott <waterhorse@ultrasw.com> writes:

> On 3/16/21 3:58 PM, David Kastrup wrote:
>> Paul Scott <waterhorse@ultrasw.com> writes:
>>
>> I am a copyist, not a composer.  I currently don’t have a MIDI
>> keyboard. I enter everything through Emacs without a mouse for pitch,
>> therefore haven’t considered tools like Frescobaldi so far.
>> I have been using \relative for many years and am aware of the problems.
>>
>> Because of this discussion I have just started using \absolute for
>> bass clef parts and I just noticed \fixed which I will start
>> experimenting with.  Any other suggestions for my situation as
>> described above?
>>
>> I will consider getting a small MIDI keyboard which would probably
>> lead to experimenting with Frescobaldi.
>> Ah, but Emacs' MIDI input mode deals better with chorded notes.
>

> Any suggestions for small inexpensive MIDI keyboards?

Huh.  I have some basic keyboard here (61 keys?) that I essentially
never used.  If you are looking to use it for note entry (rather than
any direct music-making), the advice is to confine yourself to a number
of keys you are likely to tolerate sitting on the table along with the
computer and dealing with using one hand.

When I do note entry with MIDI these days, I tend to put my FR-1b on the
table and just use the keyboard (right-hand) section.  The Roland FR-1b
is a 3-octave chromatic button accordion, so the keyboard section is
actually considerably smaller than a 3-octave piano keyboard would be.

--
David Kastrup