Re: LilyPond compared

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: LilyPond compared
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 18:37:26 +1000

The person who set this cannot even get the E flats all having flats. Comparisons such as this are odious, for a start because Dorico uses SmuFL fonts and apart from Bravura there are now about 20 SMuFL fonts available, all quite different in terms of accidental shape and such details, so what is being compared here? You can't comment on Dorico accidentals because of this.

Also, as a heavy Dorico user myself, Dorico supports a lot of tweaking options for accidentals and accidental ordering, for example: Stacking order of accidentals in chords in a single voice: Reflect left-right order of notes, or Ignore left-right order of notes. Accidental spacing can be very fine tuned as well. Dorico is very option driven, and can be customised to reflect the users style to a high degree. I do not agree that Dorico 'gets so much wrong'. What does it get wrong here?

Lilypond does a fine job which is why I have used it for years, but I not agree that it is clearly superior compared to the state of development of Dorico. I think they are on a par.

As for the supposed objectivity of 'out of the box with no tweaking',  only casual users would do no setting adjustments in any of these programs - the whole point is they are all very flexible.

Andrew