Re: [Lynx-dev] ot: slightly web host ideas?

From: Mouse
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] ot: slightly web host ideas?
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2018 00:11:47 -0400 (EDT)

I'm thinking maybe we should take this to private mail, since it's not
really related to lynx development...?

>> However, this brings up another possibility.  If you have shell
>> access on dreamhost, which is what it sounds like to me, there is no
>> technical reason you couldn't run a forwarder there that listens on
>> a high port and turns the connection around to the local port 22.

> I am unsure I understand this idea.
> lets use shellworld as I would want to work where I already know
> access on a high port functions.

A reasonable idea: make sure it works in a known environment first.

> I would have a user name and hostname listening on this higher port,

I'm not sure what you mean by having "a user name and hostname"
listening on a port.  I mean just build a program - or build elsewhere
and copy in, if they don't have a compiler installed - that creates a
listening socket on the high port.  When a connection arrives, it just
opens a connection to port 22 on the target host (the dreamhost
machine, in my suggested scenario) and passes data in both directions
between the two.

> where is the configuring actually done, is this like a proxy?

I suppose you could call it a proxy.  I wouldn't, since it doesn't very
closely match what people seem to usually use "proxy" for in
networking, but in a sense the word fits.

As for where the configuring is done, that depends on the details.  If
it's a one-off program, it could all be wired into the source code.  If
you're using a stock program, it could be on the command line or in a
file or wherever.  Using my own nc, for example, it would be something
like

        nc -server "nc whatever.dreamhost.com 22" 12345 &

where all the configuration there is is on the command line.

\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML                address@hidden