Re: [Lynx-dev] problems using google

From: Steffen Nurpmeso
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] problems using google
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2019 00:55:06 +0100

Travis Siegel wrote in <address@hidden>:

I am readding lynx-dev to Cc:, i hope you do not mind.  Your
message is well worth being seen by more people than just myself.

 |On 11/15/2019 12:15 PM, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:
 |> Jude DaShiell wrote in <alpine.NEB.2.21.1911150926020.13281@panix1.panix\
 |> .com>:
 |>|Low graphics environments include such items as navy ships at sea among
 |>|others.  The Navy just before I retired figured this out and made its
 |>|mandatory web based training accessible.  That accessibility also made
 |> Just a few weeks ago i have read a story that the American Navy
 |> will change the user interface of many (at least newer) warships
 |> back from touchscreens to normal buttons, after some accidents

It must have been in August.  (Destroyer McCain followed the
example of Nautilus, but accidentally, so to say.)

 |One thing that occurs repeate3dly in public sectors is the unexpected
 |benefits from making things accessible for disabled individuals.  The
 |whole cur cut thing for wheelchairs has helped people with strollers,
 |shopping carts, bicycles, and the like. Making web sites accessible
 |helps low bandwidth countries/connections, and following accessibility
 |guidelines when developing software has helped organizations run their
 |automated testing tools better, detecting more bugs, and producing
 |cleaner products as a result.  Perhaps the emphasis needs to be shifted
 |from disabled access to better tools, interactivness, and cleaner
 |systems.  That's probably something the commercial world could get behind.

I am all for that.  (Did not know the "helped" part.) Here in
Germany the disabled do not truly occur at the moment, with one
prominent exception.  Except for many words regarding "Inklusion".
The last rush of real Inclusion with prominent presence of
disabled persons was a while back.

 |What? Help disabled people? That's such a small minority, why would I
 |bother.

It is anything but small, though, at least in Germany.  The last
numbers i seem to remember (from at least 15 years ago) where in
the millions, counting certificates of disability.

 |What? It helps me produce better software, making cleaner code, reducing
 |time to market, and producing more sales?  Why aren't we doing this?

It has much to do with time and money.  Making houses truly
accessible for wheelchair drivers needs much more than ramps,
wider doors etc.  You need to make bathrooms accessible, kitchens,
frameless windows for balconys, whatever.  This is nothing out of
the box, mostly.  Here were i live the effort to make bus and
train stations accessible goes on for decades, it required and
requires quite a lot of roadwork.

For software.  I am guilty.  My web site should work, but that is
mostly it.  I have written graphical stuff in the past which did
not care.  (Was never developed enough to support magnification,
for example.  Etc.  Only sharp contrasts would have been doable.)
Sorry.

--steffen