[MIT-Scheme-devel] using git

From: Taylor R Campbell
Subject: [MIT-Scheme-devel] using git
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 04:00:07 -0400

After numerous failed attempts to update my local repositories,
including several hard resets, I decided to nuke them all and start
anew, saving my changes as unified diffs (and manually editing all
$Id$-line garbage out of them).  But now Git tells me that I'm doing
something wrong whenever I try to push changes, so maybe I'm doing
something wrong, but I can't figure out what it is from what Git tells
me.

To start, I ran

% git clone ssh://git.sv.gnu.org/srv/git/mit-scheme.git stage
Initialized empty Git repository in /path/to/stage/.git/
remote: Counting objects: 128572, done.
remote: Total 128572 (delta 95915), reused 122019 (delta 89451)
Receiving objects: 100% (128572/128572), 34.47 MiB | 357 KiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (95915/95915), done.
% git clone stage work
Initialized empty Git repository in /path/to/work/.git/
Checking out files: 100% (1732/1732), done.

(I want two separate repositories so that I can make a mess in the
work directory and then make sure what I am about to push to the
public repository builds cleanly in the stage directory.)

I then made some changes in the work directory, and ran `git add -p'
to add them and `git commit' to commit them (several times, before I
discovered that hitting C-g in the Emacs that `git commit' brings up
to edit the commit message causes Emacs and Git to terminate suddenly
and leave the terminal in a bogus state).  Finally, I ran `git push'
to push the changes to the stage directory.  But when I did that:

% git push
Counting objects: 11, done.
Compressing objects: 100% (6/6), done.
Writing objects: 100% (6/6), 828 bytes, done.
Total 6 (delta 5), reused 0 (delta 0)
Unpacking objects: 100% (6/6), done.
warning: updating the current branch
warning: Updating the currently checked out branch may cause confusion,
warning: as the index and work tree do not reflect changes that are in HEAD.
warning: As a result, you may see the changes you just pushed into it
warning: reverted when you run 'git diff' over there, and you may want
warning: to run 'git reset --hard' before starting to work to recover.
warning:
warning: You can set 'receive.denyCurrentBranch' configuration variable to
warning: 'refuse' in the remote repository to forbid pushing into its
warning: current branch.
warning: To allow pushing into the current branch, you can set it to 'ignore';
warning: but this is not recommended unless you arranged to update its work
warning: tree to match what you pushed in some other way.
warning:
warning: To squelch this message, you can set it to 'warn'.
warning:
warning: Note that the default will change in a future version of git
warning: to refuse updating the current branch unless you have the
warning: configuration variable set to either 'ignore' or 'warn'.
To /path/to/stage
   f65896e..9c8cd92  master -> master

What did I do wrong?