Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] using git

From: Taylor R Campbell
Subject: Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] using git
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 18:24:47 -0400

   Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 14:45:42 -0700
   From: Chris Hanson <address@hidden>

   A "bare" repository is one without an associated working tree.  If you
   just want a local repository that you can push and pull to, that's the
   right thing.  The error message was trying to tell you that you were
   going to make the repository and its working tree be out of sync.
   With a bare repository, that's never an issue.

Yes, that's what I guessed.

   Is the remote "origin/master" pointing to your local bare repository,
   or to the one on savannah?  The output of "git remote -v" (from inside
   the build tree) should tell you.

% git remote -v
origin  /path/to/stage.git (fetch)
origin  /path/to/stage.git (push)

This is what I'd expect.

   FYI, I generally don't use this workflow.  If I want to stage stuff
   for release, I use branches.  I also use a build directory that's just
   a bunch of symlinks pointing into the source directory.

All I want to do is test my changes in a clean build directory as if
someone else had just pulled them from the public repository.  So I
want to store in `stage' what I intend to eventually push to the
public repository, and make `build' pull from that.  How can I use
branches to accomplish this?

I don't want to make a directory full of symlinks because I want to be
absolutely sure that what I'm testing is just like what someone else
would get by pulling from the public repository, and I don't trust
myself to set up a symlink farm correctly.