Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] using git

From: Taylor R Campbell
Subject: Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] using git
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 23:13:41 -0400

   Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 15:44:51 -0700
   From: Chris Hanson <address@hidden>

   Instead of trying to pull your changes into an existing repo, you
   could just "git clone" the repo each time.

   I don't know why "git pull" is failing this way, so that's the best I
   can offer atm.

OK.  Using `git clone' to create the build repository is probably
better anyway to make sure that it be clean, and it doesn't take very
long, so I'll do that.  However, now when I try to push my changes to
the public repository from stage.git, I get:

stage.git% git push ssh://git.sv.gnu.org/srv/git/mit-scheme.git
To ssh://git.sv.gnu.org/srv/git/mit-scheme.git
 ! [rejected]        master -> master (non-fast forward)
error: failed to push some refs to 'ssh://git.sv.gnu.org/srv/git/mit-scheme.git'
stage.git%

Passing `-v' to `git push' doesn't give any more relevant information.
Before runing `git push' in that repository, I ran `git fetch' to be
sure that what was in stage.git was up-to-date and not about to
clobber anyone's changes upstream.  But it didn't indicate that there
was anything to fetch:

stage.git% git fetch ssh://git.sv.gnu.org/srv/git/mit-scheme.git
>From ssh://git.sv.gnu.org/srv/git/mit-scheme
 * branch            HEAD       -> FETCH_HEAD
stage.git%

I know I have pushed changes to the public repository before, although
directly from my working repository, not from a staging repository.
What am I doing wrong?

(I pushed to the staging repository from the working repository, where
I originally made the changes, by running `git push ../stage.git'.)