Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] using git

From: Taylor R Campbell
Subject: Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] using git
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 23:42:41 -0400

I think I can guess what the problem is: because the staging
repository is a bare repository, `git pull' and `git merge' don't
work, because there's no working tree.  (That is a wild guess -- I see
no text in the git-pull(1), git-fetch(1), or git-merge(1) man pages
about bare repositories -- but this sounds plausible to me.)  However,
there are upstream changes, which `git push' won't let me clobber.  So
I can't pull changes, and I can't push changes until I've pulled the
changes, and I'm not sure what I can do now.

I tried pulling directly into my working repository, and Git couldn't
figure out what branch to use, which puzzles me, because as far as I
know there is only one branch at all involved:

\begin{transcript}
% git pull ssh://git.sv.gnu.org/srv/git/mit-scheme.git
You asked me to pull without telling me which branch you
want to merge with, and 'branch.master.merge' in
your configuration file does not tell me either.        Please
specify which branch you want to merge on the command line and
try again (e.g. 'git pull <repository> <refspec>').
See git-pull(1) for details.

If you often merge with the same branch, you may want to
configure the following variables in your configuration
file:

    branch.master.remote = <nickname>
    branch.master.merge = <remote-ref>
    remote.<nickname>.url = <url>
    remote.<nickname>.fetch = <refspec>

See git-config(1) for details.
\end{transcript}

How do I know what branch to use?  As far as I know, there is only one
branch in the repository, called `master' or `HEAD' or something, and
it seems that Git already knows about `master' since it talked about
it in the output of `git pull'.