Re: [Mldonkey-users] Overnet support - patch number 1

From: Norbert Lataille
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Overnet support - patch number 1
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 17:23:32 +0100

> Yes, in fact, anonimity could become important in the future. However,
> I've thought about another idea of freenet, ie the fact that people
> don't know which files they are hosting. A cache could be implemented
> in mldonkey, that would randomly download chunks from the network (not
> complete files) and share them. This would increase availability,
> without compromising users (they can't be taken as responsible, since
> they don't know which files are on their disk). For uploaders, they
> could simply fill their cache with the chunks of the file they want to
> release, so that the file would not be seen as complete on their disk,
> since it would be splitted in small pieces. Just some thoughts...

Adding "automatic cache" is a great idea, but I believe that it can improve
files availibility if it is "intelligent" as in freenet (cache rare or
frequenly asked files). For example :
- populated by what the users DL (most users download and erase files, a
simple LRU cache could help in this case...), or automaticaly DL new files ;
- scored by the num of uploads / succesful searches, or by a distributed
scoring algo between peers ? (could be a part of the overlay network below)

> The ability to browse users could in fact be very useful for us. We
> are planning to build an overlay network over edonkey+overnet, that
> would be based on some special servers: these servers would browse all
> clients, and then act as edonkey servers, providing services such as
> keyword searches or source searches. These servers would only be
> available for mldonkey clients, so that they would not suffer from
> problems with other clients (udp stuff, etc). Moreover, since the
> clients they browse will not stay connected, they will be able to
> display more files than edonkey servers. Finally, since both edonkey
> and overnet clients can be browsed, both of them will appear in the
> replies of these servers. Of course, this can only work if all clients
> accept to be browsed.

Interesting, reminds me of an old FTP scanning-bot project, and most of the
pieces are already there...

> >  But I'm looking forward to
> >  implementing availibility from overnet (in general, what is the status
of
> >  avaibility in mldonkey, for example regarding the edonkey protocol ?),
and
> >  perhaps the "force filter" search option that we discussed earlier.
>
> Sorry, I missed this discussion. But there is already a filter_search
> option (or something like that) used to post-filter replies to search
> to guaranty they match the request.

Fine!
For the first point, is there a way to use the availability information in
mldonkey ? I haven't look much for availibilty in overnet for now, but if it
is useable I may add it to mldonkey... :-)

Norbert