[Mldonkey-users] excellent proof 2.01 is broken

From: Brett Dikeman
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] excellent proof 2.01 is broken
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 21:03:10 -0500

At 12:38 AM +0100 12/17/02, Sven Hartge wrote:

Hmm, I made a test and raised my limit to 5 servers and got connected to
3 major german servers with 50000 clients each and two smaller ones with
30000 and 25000 clients.

Test #1:

I've had files in my queue for DAYS with zero sources, when I can do a search using jigle.com and see 80+ sources. When I ask on message boards "could so-and-so please reshare file X" I get replies saying "I've got dozens of full sources, I don't know what you're talking about. Is there something wrong with your client? Is your firewall open?" etc.

Test #2:

Running 2.01, I just performed a open-ended search and found a file with 10 sources. I immediately added it to my download list. It's been sitting there for 10 minutes, and I don't have a single source.

I then kill mldonkey 2.01, fire up 2.00, and perform the same exact test. Grab a file from an open search, 10 or so sources(9 in this case), and within 30 seconds I have(surprise!) about 10 sources.

Test #3:

I had two files I've been trying to get for days with 2.01. Zero sources. Client had been restarted at least once every 2 days.

I fire up 2.00 and added the exact same two files. Both had sources within 30 seconds. One has almost 100 sources, the other has about 10. Tada. 10 minutes later, I have 567 sources. Another 10 minutes later, same number of sources AND it's now downloading.

Test #4:

Timed Mldonkey 2.01's time to find a new server. Almost 5 minutes to find ONE server.

2.00?  About 15 seconds.  Another 15 seconds later, it has 3 more servers.

Both using the SAME server list- copied it from the 2.00 directory to the 2.01 directory.

The only files I've been able to download since switching to 2.01 are those which are INCREDIBLY well spread...ie, 1000+ sources. I suspect those came from other non-2.01 mldonkey clients that happened to hit a server I was on, were looking for the same file, and sent me their sources. I've used mldonkey for months and NEVER had this much trouble.

What else do I have to do to convince you there's a problem with 2.01, Sven?

Oh, and by the way- I'm extremely hesitant to believe servers which claim to have a perfectly even number of users, especially above 10,000. Don't you find it the least bit suspicious that the majority of servers mldonkey 2.01 seems to connect to have really nice, even, round numbers of users?

It was my experience, before switching to 2.01, that most servers tend to have a very odd number of users on 'em(1821 for example, or maybe 425, etc.) It wouldn't surprise me if the servers claiming 50,000 users are faking their stats. Hell, they may be fake servers -period-!

The four servers(temporarily raised limit; 2.01 had its config raised to a max of 4 as well for testing) I'm connected to at the moment(with 2.00) claim to have 2559, 697, 537, and 7313 users. Much more typical/reasonable numbers, in my experience. I doubt numbers in the 50,000 range are even possible, or that there are enough active clients.

I bet if you tallied up the claims, you'd have the most incredible number of users. I'd bet people are cooking their server's stats. Completely fake servers wouldn't surprise me either. Strikes me as a great way to get sources. Collect the sources from clients, but not let any other users see them. What better way to attract new users by claiming an incredible # of connected users? No concrete evidence, but it certainly seems like a possibility, doesn't it?

 > Sounds like ludgnum(or whatever it is called) was just updated to
 block mldonkey.

All servers mentioned above used lugdunum.p67.

So this seems not to be the case.

I don't know the exact reason, all I see are the symptoms of a lot of servers refusing to talk to mldonkey 2.01.

You can tell us all you want about all the servers you're able to connect to, show us your client stats until the sun goes down- the fact remains that a lot of people are suddenly having a lot of trouble with mldonkey, and I've just pretty well proved that the problem is specific to 2.01, seeing how a switch back to 2.00 resulted in active downloads-within-a-half-hour, instead of zero-sources-for-days with 2.01.

The common theme in almost every case is the following:

-user can connect to some servers
-user sees lots of folks downloading from them
-user can't find any sources for files(none. Nothing shows up in the source list.)
-all were using 2.00 with no problems.  Switched, now they can't find files.

I think anyone who doesn't switch back to 2.00 at the moment is crazy. But then again, 2.00 is now gone from the website.

Luckily, the network we all know and love comes to the rescue(provided you're able to actually download...) I can't guarantee any of these haven't been trojaned(run at your own risk!)

i586 static:

ed2k://|file|mldonkey-2.00.static.i586-Linux.tar.bz2|6454095|9D88AA24DEAA8F61E267F8368A6795FB|/

i386 shared:

ed2k://|file|mldonkey-2.00.shared.i386-Linux.tar.bz2|2647837|334B4B096961AB8E17AEEBA6C7FFDEF7|/

(others can be found on jigle.com)

Brett