[Mldonkey-users] overnet generating ton of outgoing bandwidth

From: Brett Dikeman
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] overnet generating ton of outgoing bandwidth
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 13:38:04 -0500

Silly question #2:

Sitting doing nothing, just connected to the edonkey and overnet networks(not uploading or looking for anything), the client uses up about 12-13kB of outgoing bandwidth and about 2kB incoming. It's all overnet traffic- and since nothing's being shared or downloaded, that means it's protocol overhead.

That is a LOT of traffic. A LOT. Like, I usually set my client to a max upload of 20-25kb/sec and most of it is going purely to overnet protocol stuff.

What's the deal? Also, why isn't there a control for overnet? I simply stopped forwarding overnet through my firewall, but there doesn't seem to be a way to turn on/off overnet.

Brett