Re: [Mldonkey-users] overnet generating ton of outgoing bandwidth

From: Norbert LATAILLE
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] overnet generating ton of outgoing bandwidth
Date: 09 Jan 2003 13:17:24 +0100

> Is there a limit on how many files are shared at the same time on
> Overnet ?

Yes, and in fact we have even more than that :

1/ we have a files_to_be_published list. Every 3 hours, if the list is
empty (ie: we finished publishing all files in the previous 3*n hours),
we add all shared files to it.

2/ The list is converted to a "keyword search" list : keywords are
extracted from filenames to create a new "keyword search list". As some
files can lead to 20+ keywords and others to 1 keyword, and because this
number of kw to be published is directly linked to the bandwidth, this
is probably a better way to store the list.

3/ Every 5min, if there are less than 8 overnet searches currently
running (we take every searches into account, user, publish, files ...),
we take 5 keywords from the list and we publish them (by starting a
"search")

4/ As the search system has been rewritten, nb of packets to handle a
search should be very small.

If you take all this into account, I can't understand how file publish
can be responsible from too much bandwith, even if you have many shared
files.

N.