Re: [Mldonkey-users] Regarding MLDonkey suggestion about long queues...

From: Sergio Bayarri Gausi
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Regarding MLDonkey suggestion about long queues...
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 14:27:44 +0100 (MET)

Hello,

>       I totally agree with banning clients with long queues. We wait
> there for days without a single byte (of data) sent our way.

I don't mind waiting for days in a long queue if that means I'll (finally)
get that rare-rare-rare chunk I'm missing in that rare-rare-rare file
stuck at 99.9%.

But I agree that large queues are frustating and don't help at all to
spread those rare-rare-rare chunks. Ok, once I get it my mldonkey will
spread it quite fast (I don't have an stupid 1000 slots queue), but waiting
*days* for it is frustrating.

I don't think banning clients with large queues is a good idea, specially
if they are the only ones having that chunk we desperately need (as I said
I'd rather wait, though I'll be pissed off meanwhile).

Not to talk about the stupid "oh look! Bad mldonkey is doing it again"
reactions.

>       And I really believe that they will turn them off when they see
> that we have that last chunk of that really rare Algarve vacation movie.

Mmmmm, are you sure Windows users would understand it? The majority of
emule users just use it, they don't try to understand how it (or the
edonkey/overnet network) works.

>       Now about that ON stuff…. Why is it so hard to understand that the
> more clients correctly using a network the more files will be available?
> I hope ON developers see that and release the sources so every client
> can implement a correct protocol.

Did I mention 'utopia' in my previous posts?

> By the way is it really mldonkey causing problems? I mean, I saw way to
> many posts complaining but none describing the bug. I would like to know
> what it is.

My feeling is that mldonkey is working very well right now, I don't think
it's agressive against the edonkey or overnet networks anymore. It's
becoming very stable and very polite against the network and if something
goes wrong, the developpers try to solve it as soon as possible.

I see emule being more a problem with their credit system and infinite
queues. I guess they know they outcast the rest of clients in number and
think they can do whatever they want.

Greetings,

Sergio