nano-devel

Re: requesting an option to zap selected text when typing any character

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: requesting an option to zap selected text when typing any character
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2020 16:30:19 +0100

Op 10-12-2020 om 16:57 schreef pepa65:
> Yes, just the highlighting would be great already. Even more with
> regular expressions!! But to have the search result automatically
> selected (only when the mark is not in use of course) would be insanely
> useful, especially in text-macros. Currently, the search function only
> brings the cursor to a point, but if the searched for text would be
> selected, it could then be cut and easily moved elsewhere (currently,
> this is only possible if you know the amount of characters, but when
> using regular expressions, you might not).

Interesting use case: a keyboard macro that searches for a regex, cuts
the match, and then pastes it somewhere else.  Sounds cool, but I can't
think of a situation where I would want to do this.  Can you give a
realistic example?

Still, even if the found match would be marked only when the mark is off
when the search starts, it would still modify the marking behavior: the
mark would be switched on by a successful search.  That would interfere
with people searching for something and then wishing to start marking
stuff from the cursor position; they would have to first switch the mark
off and then back on again.  So, if implemented, this "mark the match"
behavior will have to be behind an option.

Benno