nano-devel

Re: request for marking a search match

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: request for marking a search match
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2020 11:53:28 +0100

Op 13-12-2020 om 06:35 schreef pepa65:
> On 12/12/2020 20.48, Benno Schulenberg wrote:
>> Attached two patches implement the behavior.  The first just selects the
>> match,
>> and shows the cursor at the start of the match.  But I find the presence of
>> the
>> cursor ugly.  So the second patch selects the match AND suppresses the
>> cursor.
>> The cursor is shown again as soon as it moves.
>
> I don't see a difference in behaviour between the two, but maybe that's
> because I have a blinking block cursor..?

You mean for you the cursor is suppressed for both patches when an occurrence
is marked?  Or the cursor is still present for both patches?  If yes, then
which terminal do you use?

Ah...  Maybe you don't see a difference because for you the cursor has the
same color as the highlighting?  For me the cursor (steady block) is bright
yellow, and the highlighted text is white on magenta -- a strong contrast.

> I don't use the mark very much, so a softmark suits me fine, no problems
> for me in these implementations, I really think it's an asset..! Even
> just  search becomes much clearer.

Yes, I like the highlighted search match too.  The cursor hiding itself is
a little odd, but... acceptable.  So I think I will add the thing to nano,
behind an option.

Benno