nano-devel

Re: request for marking a search match

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: request for marking a search match
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2020 14:48:08 +0100

Op 11-12-2020 om 17:05 schreef pepa65:
> Even just the feature to select the search result (I guess the mark will be at
> the end and the cursor at the start of the search result) is useful, because a
> mark is very powerful, but so far it always had to be set manually.

Attached two patches implement the behavior.  The first just selects the match,
and shows the cursor at the start of the match.  But I find the presence of the
cursor ugly.  So the second patch selects the match AND suppresses the cursor.
The cursor is shown again as soon as it moves.

> I would envision this like an option I would turn on in a search if I needed
> it. Like I toggle regex on in a search when I need it: toggle select search
> result.

I wouldn't want this as a toggle -- I much prefer stable, predictable behavior.
First switching off the mark the rare time that I want to set the mark at the
start of the match is easy enough.

Benno