nss-mysql-users

Re: [Nss-mysql-users] Re: Will nss-mysql help me?

From: Jason Clifford
Subject: Re: [Nss-mysql-users] Re: Will nss-mysql help me?
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 15:31:06 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 2 May 2003, Brad Stockdale wrote:

>     I've been looking for an easy (relatively speaking) solution to storing
> the contents of /etc/{passwd|shadow|group} in a mysql database... The
> problem I have ran into several times is that sendmail/qpopper doesnt like
> this arrangement normally...
>
>     So, what i'm looking for is something to link into the PAM subsystem
> that basically emulates reterieving the data out of the etc files, but
> instead grabs them out of a mysql database...
>
>     I'm guessing that if it emulates the unix files well enough, that
> sendmail, qpopper, ssh, etc will be happy and I wont have to hack patches
> into them directly to support mysql authentication and such...
>
>     Am I correct in thinking that nss-mysql will do what I am after?

Absolutely.

I'm using nss-mysql here to do exactly that for several ISPs and it works
beautifully.

There is a patch available (someone on the list perhaps?) which will allow
you to have the shadow data readable by an extra group which I have found
is absolutely necessary to getting Postfix and other non-root PAM users to
authenticate for things such as SMTP AUTH and Apache authentication.

If you don't support SMTP Auth and don't care about using PAM to
authenticate Apache connections from system accounts you wont need the
patch.

Jason Clifford
--
UK Free Software Network - Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/                   Sign up now