nss-mysql-users

Re: [Nss-mysql-users] General nss-mysql questions...

From: Michael Chang
Subject: Re: [Nss-mysql-users] General nss-mysql questions...
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 16:46:03 -0400 (EDT)

|> Dans un message du 12 May à 23:24, Michael Chang écrivait :
|> > 1.)
|> >   So, it appears as though nss-mysql can *retrieve* from a MySQL
|> >   database, but updates are still performed on the flat files
|> >   under /etc.
|> >   Is this really the way that nss-mysql is intended to operate?
|>
|> Yes it is normal. NSS is just a lookup API, it does not support updating
|> operations.

Ouch!  Well, then, on a typical, virgin Linux box, when I change a user's
password with `passwd', what is it that performs that actual modification
to /etc/shadow?  Nevermind, I see that the prototype is in shadow.h for
putspent(...).  What library is putspent() in?  Can it be overridden via
the nss libraries, or do I have to hack glibc itself?

Furthermore, how can I integrate the modification of user account information
with nss-mysql?
Am I assuming correctly that I must write my own versions of, say,
`usermod', `useradd' and `chfn'?

Thanks,
Michael

--
/* BEGIN SIG
*
* "Afraid of change, afraid of staying the same,
*  when temptation calls, we just look away."
*  - Barenaked Ladies
*
* "He started writing in mirror writing, 'Help! I'm
*  trapped behind the world.'"
*  - New York State Journal of Medicine
*
* Michael Chang