Re: [Gsoc 2014] Creating a code sharing website for Octave [Replacing Ag

From: oswalpalash
Subject: Re: [Gsoc 2014] Creating a code sharing website for Octave [Replacing Agora]
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2014 08:57:06 -0700 (PDT)

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2 wrote
> What is the problem with that? I am sorry, but I ma not an expert and
> I do not see any issue with one toll or another unless you point out
> the problem exactly (abandoned? not libre?)
>
> From what I see, scipy-central looks to be quite behind of what we
> have in Agora. Instead of scratching what is there, why not upgrading
> the modules that are not working properly?
>
> If you want to scratch the work of the previous ocntributors, it is
> better you make a strong case for it.

Our present system (Agora) has been using Celery for asynchronous tasks, but
it fails quite a lot. It can happen for a variety of reasons. Many times
linux server doesn't import tasks on celery and hence Agora doesn't process
the uploaded bundles.
Agora has been created with Celery Version 3.0.10 which hasa  bug regarding
app argument (tried to use the ‘proj.celery’ module as the app) this has
been fixed 3.1.4.

Processing bundles in Agora is quite lagging behind compared to
Scipy-Central. The later processes the zip bundles quite efficiently. We can
extend the capabilities of the system to make it work for tar, tar.gz,
tar.bz2.

Our hosting, I don't know why, stops running celery quite often.

However I'd like to clear it out that I am not against Agora project in any
way. My initial approach was to finish the agora project. However since
we're experiencing problems in Agora which were working in ScipyCentral, it
would require less time to be finished and it would give immediate results.

I had discussed this with Jordi and he had asked me to decide on which
project to work on. However I can work on Agora as well if the community
wants. I am sorry if I offended anyone, it wasn't intended.