pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Statistical word analysis?

From: Aluminum Foil Ball
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Statistical word analysis?
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 17:09:55 -0500

On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 09:08:02PM +0200, Frank Van Damme wrote:
> On Thursday 11 April 2002 07:59 pm, you wrote:
> > And then there's this.
> > http://www.nwfusion.com/net.worker/news/2002/0408networker.html
> > Once they do it, the rest of the ISPs are sure to follow.
>
> Oh? There are still cable isp's who don't meter bandwidth usage?

Most of them in the U.S.  For now.
Speed capping is common, but, as far as I know, you don't pay any more
whether you let it sit there or fill the pipe 24/7.

Back in the '90s, it became pretty clear to everyone in the biz here that
unmetered access was the model that got and kept customers.  Clearly,
it didn't shake out the same way everywhere.

> Where do I have to sign up for a 400 GB/month ftp server at 40$/month? :-)

That, I don't know.  This is residential service I'm talking about, and
they usually prohibit running servers on your machine.

Server hosting here pretty much always has a charged based on bandwidth
usage.

Admittedly, this is getting a bit off-topic.