pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] [OT] Statistical word analysis?

From: James Hawtin
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] [OT] Statistical word analysis?
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 14:47:23 +0000 (GMT)

On 12 Apr 2002, Aristotle wrote:

> James,
>
> I think that is totally fair.  I was flamed in a bad way once time on a
> local Linux discussion group regarding downloads of ADSL providers (some
> worked for and ran one and other ISPs so they were quite defensive).  I
> suggested that unless it is unmetred - it's defeats the purpose and then
> all hell broke loose about greedy leechers vs stingy ISPs etc.

Hay don't get me wrong, I was not complaining, I think they offer a very
attractive package (after all I use it rather than someone else). Yes I
might like more of X rather than Y, but over all it all compensates for
itself.

Personally I am glad everyone is capped, perhaps if my download was twice
as fast things would take 2 rather than 4 hours But what does that matter,
I still have to wait and do something else for a while so in the scheme of
things it would make no difference, I still get enough bandwidth in a
month to do everything I want to. Having Reasonable caps means that
other people also cannot abuse the system, and ruin my experience. I don't
get a static IP, however my "dynamic" one has not changed in 1.5 years.
Infact I found out from a tech what they do. Basically if you run lots of
"servers" (you are allowed servers with up to 5 incomming connections),
like anon ftp or http the only two your not allowed. They Bounce your IP,
to break them.

All it all I think its a good price for a resonable product 25 UKP (37
USD).

Infact my only complaint now is there news server has been improved and
can spit out data so fast it can swamp my other connections ;-) hay but I
can live with that.

> Or if I ran my own news server (ha ha) - that would really blow the
> link.

And I bet if you did you would not require half the articles you,
downloaded.

> I think broadband, datacasting, digital TV is all in a state of flux at
> the moment.  Most ISPs compete on plan configuration rather than actual
> price - the world over?  But governments and corporations (read:
> Micro$oft) are pushing for broadband in the consumer market.

I would have to agree, and I would like to thank bill for forcing PC specs
though the roof, when i bought my first PC, I wanted somethging good
enough to run unix, so it was a 486 DX66 (when it just came out) with 32
Meg of ram and a 1.3 gig hard disk, also I had a CD-rom (one speed) and it
cost greater than 3500 UKP. Now I can just go and by normal components and
they are  more than enough to meet my needs sub 1000 UKP price. Bill has
saved me lots of money when I think about it, damn I almost sound
greatful!

James