pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] ANN: Pan 0.14.0.94

From: Bobby D. Bryant
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] ANN: Pan 0.14.0.94
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 05:07:14 -0600

On 2003.08.05 03:49, Dave Hill wrote:
On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 02:37:32 -0600
"Bobby D. Bryant" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 2003.08.04 18:53, Charles Kerr wrote:
>
> >   | #118930          | Ensure that changed articles' scores are
> > propagated up  |
> >   | Dave Hill        | to their parents in the header pane so that
> > collapsed   |
> >   |                  | threads' scores are correct.
>
> IMO this was not a felicitous change.  If a kook starts a thread I
> could formerly see that fact right away from the score of the
> top-level post when the thread was collapsed, and take it into
> consideration when deciding whether to open the thread.  Now it
looks
> like any other thread and I don't notice that I've stepped into dog
> pooh until I click to expand it.

I aubmitted the bug because a positive score in a child article wasn't
reflected in the top-level collapsed score. This was a bug because it
used to work. Now, the problem is that a negative (dog pooh) poster's
score is overriden by the responses to it, which have "Zero" score. I
suggested that Zero should be taken as a no-op and be overridden by
either + or - (but what happens if you have both + and - scores?).

One solution would be to add a new column for "maximum score in the unread replies". Another would be to color the subject line according to its own score and color the score column according to the maximum score among the unread replies.

Yet another would be to move the unread-reply count back to a separate column rather than appending it to the subject line (needs to be done anyway, IMO, since it sometimes looks like part of the actual subject) and coloring it according to the maximum score among the unread replies, leaving the collapsed subject line + score colored according to their own merits.

--
Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas