pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] ANN: Pan 0.14.0.94

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] ANN: Pan 0.14.0.94
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 08:45:55 -0700

On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 05:07:14AM -0600, Bobby D. Bryant wrote:

>> I aubmitted the bug because a positive score in a child article wasn't
>> reflected in the top-level collapsed score. This was a bug because it
>> used to work. Now, the problem is that a negative (dog pooh) poster's
>> score is overriden by the responses to it, which have "Zero" score. I
>> suggested that Zero should be taken as a no-op and be overridden by
>> either + or - (but what happens if you have both + and - scores?).

See other thread.  It's at most a wart, since it's a minor problem
that pops up as a side-effect of solving a bigger problem.

> One solution would be to add a new column for "maximum score in the
> unread replies".  Another would be to color the subject line according
> to its own score and color the score column according to the maximum
> score among the unread replies.
>
> Yet another would be to move the unread-reply count back to a separate
> column rather than appending it to the subject line (needs to be done
> anyway, IMO, since it sometimes looks like part of the actual subject)
> and coloring it according to the maximum score among the unread
> replies, leaving the collapsed subject line + score colored according
> to their own merits.

I'm absolutely not going to add more columns to the header pane;
it's cluttered enough already.  I kind of like the idea of showing
the score in parenthesis when it's a collapsed score.

--
cheers,
Charles